Welcome to the very first project post on my new blog! It is going to take some time to make this place feel more like home (I have a lot of work to do) but I just can’t wait to post pretty things!
I really didn’t think I was going to finish this project this winter. But with all the additional snow we’ve been getting in Jersey, it was slight motivation to finish it up! I had been stalking this pattern for months and every time it popped up, my want for it grew. I finally gave in to the adorableness and pulled out some fabric that’s been in my stash.
I started this well over two months ago. Other projects got in the way and the fabric I chose kept getting on my nerves. But last week I made the final push and sewed on the last button!
A few comments: This pattern is wonderful. Sizing was great, next time I would make the sleeve width a little smaller (it is meant to be larger). The original pattern is made for a shorter coat, but as this is meant to be a winter coat, I increased the hem by 5″ and while I didn’t wind up using that full 5 I’m definitely glad I added the extra length.
I bought this purple/black/white woven wool years ago from Joann Fabrics, and happens to be one of the most expensive fabrics I’ve ever bought (and will never buy again because it is a pain to work with) It was meant for a different project but once that plan fell through, I’ve had these yards just sitting in my stash. This is lined with a beautiful solid purple knit to match the exterior (sorry not pictured). As lovely as the lining was, it was difficult to attach it to the exterior and I had a good few hours of struggle to get it to sit right.
There will come a time in my sewing career when I will have made this coat at least four times- one for every season. I highly recommend Waffle Patterns. I’m looking at the vest for a future sew but have a few other projects to get to first…