Exciting news everybody! Katy over from Made By Katy nominated me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! It’s always such a good feeling to be recognized by your peers for your work and I thank Katy very much for thinking of me!
Here’s how the award works!
1. Thank the person who nominated you and add a link to their blog.
2. Display the award logo in a blog entry
3. List the award guidelines so your nominees will know what to do
4. State 7 hidden facts about yourself OR 3 things that inspire you.
5. Nominate other blogger friends for the award.
I was browsing Katy’s blog one day and saw her post about making her own wedding dress! To me, this is one of the coolest sewing accomplishments. And my first “hidden fact” (which isn’t actually hidden at all.)
1. It is my ultimate sewing goal to make my own wedding dress. I actually plan on making two (one ceremony and one party) if I ever get married haha
2. I hated my boyfriend when I first met him. We did a group project together in college and Drew thought he would be the project manager. He didn’t seem to know that I take a lot of pride in my projects. I guess he liked my stubbornness because after the project was over, he wouldn’t leave me alone. We’ve been together almost 4 years now.
3. I take Halloween very seriously. It is my all time favorite holiday because, duh, sewing costumes of course. I already have the next two years planned out for Drew and I. He may refuse to take pictures with me but I’m happy he actually dresses up now.
4. I love working. I love being busy and having a goal to achieve.
5. My sister and I are complete opposites. I am very “tomboy” and outdoorsy and she is the princess in the family. She is my best friend, and while we are two years apart in age, people think we are twins. This photo was from our prom (her senior, my junior) and this sums us up pretty well. Her nails done, bright pink dress and me with a beehive wearing polka dots. The second photo from her wedding, yes she wore a tiara.
6. My favorite movies are Almost Famous and The Nightmare Before Christmas. (I’m slightly obsessed with Tim Burton)
7. I want to create an empire. I know that’s a really bold statement but I am working towards my future and see my sewing as something that can take me places. I want to inspire people- not only to learn to sew and make beautiful things themselves- but to love handmade items and buy from people who create with their hands and appreciate the art they produce. I’ve been lucky enough to be part of a community that believes in the handmade movement (seamstresses need to stick together you know!) but I want to grow that community and minimize the idea of mass producing products. Handmade is such a beautiful word and I want to be part of those that praise its meaning.
1. Jane, from Jane Makes. She just finished making her own shoes (AMAZING!) and she did this really wonderful project called Morsebags Challenge, which I encourage you to check out and join in if you have the opportunity.
2. Hannah from Palindrome Dry Goods. She has beautiful photography and her apparel projects are stunning. She has an etsy site as well, filled with great handmade makes!
3. Laura from Laurasaurus. This girl has been with me for a while and she always has a sweet comment to say! I love her wardrobe and she does a great job of mixing work wear with fun, beautiful pieces.
Thanks for inspiring me ladies!