GUYS. IT HAPPENED. I finally made my first piece of active wear! This isn’t a very exciting piece of clothing but it’s a start. I came across Spit Up & Stilettos, a site that was offering free womans patterns and I wanted to make the Caroline shirt. I was interested to know how the patterns fit so I decided to make the Matilda Leggings first.
The pattern came in a great range of sizes, xs – xl and I cut an XS (size 0-2).This pattern allows you to choose between shorts, Capri and pants which are great options!
The fabric is from Joann’s. I had an awful experience with Joann’s customer service over the holidays and now refuse to purchase anything online from them so this fabric was one of the few in store options. It’s similar to this but looks darker in person. It has a great amount of stretch and a good weight to it making it a nice option for leggings.
They went together fast, since I made my own pattern for leggings before – the process was similar. The first time I tried them on, the waist seams started snapping. I reinforced all straight stitches with zig zag stitches so the seams were fine but I found it strange. I cut the fabric properly and used polyester thread like the pattern suggested – the pattern can actually be taken in a little in the waist to fit better but I don’t know why the seams snapped. I don’t have a serger but haven’t had this problem with sewing knits before. I’ll have to do a little investigating to solve the problem.
I’m excited to take these out for a test run, but that won’t be for at least a month. I’m training for my first marathon and I have no runs under 5 miles until right before the race.
For now, they will just be comfortable lounge pants.