Happy Halloween! Life has been so crazy the past few weeks and I fell like I’ve fallen behind on everything! But I finished my suit refashion just in time for today’s deadline!
If you aren’t familiar with the challenge, Refashioners is a online challenge to refashion and win a prize! Last year the theme was jeans – and I made one of my favorite refashions- my denim bomber jacket. This year’s theme was “suits you”, taking an old suit and transforming it into something new.
I love seeing everyone’s creations, and while I’m pretty sure I will never win a refashioning challenge, it is so much fun to participate!
This year I had a plan even before the official rules came out. I felt so on top of my game, life was good. I bought two women’s suits, one pink skirt suit and a blue dress suit, and wanted to make coveralls. With the hopeful impending move, I had dreams of painting rooms and doing a ton of work to a house and thought a pair of coveralls would be the perfect wardrobe addition.
Well, here we are at the end of October and still no house. We lost another dream home last week, so house hunting has been a really tough journey, not just time consuming, but so emotionally stressful. Because of everything that has been going on, I didn’t get to my refashion, and last week I knew I was cutting it close. I had no desire to make coveralls, and needed a new idea- stat.
Pinterest to the rescue! I found this great coat on pinterest and my mind was made up. I had to have something similar and I could transform my suit into this coat!
This refashion was actually very simple, but took way longer than expected. I cut the suit jacket in half, and attached the bottom half of the skirt to the jacket. This way I was able to keep the original hem.
For the hood, I was able to use more of the skirt, and used the original skirt lining for the hood facing. I used the hood pattern from the Kelly Anorak. To attach, I just removed the jacket collar and sewed the hood into the opening.
I ironed out the suit lapels and turned them in. I originally wanted to add a zipper, but the ones I had were closed ended – which I discovered after sewing two different zippers in. So no closures here! But I like the open feel anyway.
I removed the sleeves to resize and change the cuff. I cut off about 2.5″ from the sleeve and made a new cuff with elastic. The sleeves are full length but I love them rolled up! The last step was to add slouchy pockets to the front. I used this awesome diagram from Madalynne, and took the fabric from the original jacket bottom.
There’s nothing left but some scraps, buttons, skirt zipper and two massive shoulder pads that were removed almost immediately. I was hoping to add more detail and hardware like the original, but I ran out of time and supplies and really enjoy the cleaner finished look.
Overall, I love my new piece. And I really love having a new piece that’s wearable. And, if you don’t follow me on Instagram (@trishstitched) you may notice my hair is a little different…11″ chopped off!
2 thoughts on “#Refashioners2017 Suits You: Suit to Coat Refashion”
I love how your jacket turned out! The color is beautiful and looks great on you – not to mention all the details & THAT HOOD! Perfect. I love it! Great job!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Oh my goodness your hair looks AMAZING!! and i love this color on you! it’s absolutely stunning
LikeLiked by 1 person